Popping a Bed


 There used to be this thing called a waterbed that a lot of people had until they discovered it is not too comfortable to sleep on a water balloon when someone else is. Waves, waves were the problem. My parent's waterbed was great for jumping on from the loft until my sister ruined it by trying to do a flip and breaking the frame of the bed with her back. It was still useful, to me at least, as a passive aggressive vent for my anger. I had discovered that when my dad was making me really angry that I could use a little trick to pay him back short of confrontation which was not and is not my favorite way to do battle. If I thought that my dad's behavior merited some punishment I would find him guilty in my private trial and sentence him to one wake-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night-soggy, and then dutifully execute that sentence. Waterbeds have a floating wave suppressor that keeps the pressure off the top of the bladder when no one is on it so the trick is to take a fine puncturing device, finding a good spot about halfway down his side where he would lay and make a tiny hole which would not leak right away. In the night, however, as my dad's not inconsiderable mass was pressing down on the bed the leak would start so slowly, so very slowly. In the middle of the night there would finally be enough water to be perceptible and would wake him up and force him to go get a towel to sleep on until he could fix another leak in the morning. He couldn't figure out why only his side of the bed leaked. I never admitted that I was the bed popper until I was in my mid-twenties and both my mother and father were a little upset about how many nights their bed had leaked a little and kept them up but they also found it humorous and it did clear up a persistent mystery. The statute of limitations was up anyway so their hands were tied.