My Shameful Baseball lies. Of shame.


 I don't play baseball. I have never played a real game of baseball but that didn't stop me from pitching a perfect game in RBI baseball with a sidearm pitcher named Bret Saberhagan. In the game he has an awesome sidearm pitch that was just about impossible for that poor 16 bit processor to keep up with. I was over visiting my Attaway cousins when I preformed this feat of vicarious baseball prowess. I was so excited about all things baseball that somehow I got it into my head to lie about my own real life baseball skills to my baseball all-state cousin and his mother. They we sitting on the couch with me and I began to weave fantastical tales of my baseball glory and heroics. As you might have guessed the amount of baseball knowledge I had gleaned from the Nintendo game was not enough to fool the actual baseball players for long. Or more accurately, at all. I told them that I had once been caught in a pinch play. They had never heard of that because it is not real and so instead of saying just kidding and backing out there I tried to firm up my position by describing what a pinch play was. I told them it was when a runner was pinched between a ball carrier and a defender on base and forced out and made a pinching motion with my thumb and fore-finger to illustrate the principle of the pinch. To their credit they were polite but I am pretty sure they knew I had never played baseball and that they were even more certain that the play I described was not really part of the game unless you were an un-athletic nerd who just pitched a perfect game on RBI baseball got excited and tried to tell a story. They let it go and never brought it up again. Good for them, good for me.