Watching General Hospital for 'Home School' - Mom Breaks the TV


Luke and Laura, at some point in the history of American television that low-rent stage magician looking goof ball had stay-at-home mom's all a twitter. Pathetic. 
To say that my home schooling was unstructured would be generous in the extreme. It was free time all the time. Well, all except for the first three days of the school year.  We would get out some books and supplies and do some assignments. That was as far as that ever went.  I loved to do math, so I would get a teachers worksheet book of math homework and try and do the whole book in one day. I would spend some time reading in the World Book encyclopedias and then head back to the fort. The rest of the time was building something else onto that magnificent deathtrap. 
Some days my mom would be watching soap operas, especially General Hospital, while she did laundry or ironing and I would hang out folding towels and watching the unbelievable sadness and tragedy unfold day after day. I remember the Luke and Laura plot and Luke tied up by bad guys trying to get to Laura. Truly sad. 
One day the cable was not working and my mom, who is as helpless as a baby kitten with technical problems, tried to fix the cable wall jack with a butter knife. There were a lot of blue sparks and the power went out. When my dad came home he decided that we would be better off not having any television so we just played outside. We would later buy a VCR and watch movies occasionally but we never had broadcast or cable TV again. 
That made it so whenever we were at someones house with TV we would want to watch whatever was on for as long as we could.