Running Away to Live in a Dryer


This will be my home until mom and dad have had time to repent, that will teach them

Like a lot of kids who were unjustly treated I figured that running away was the best way to teach my family a lesson. The fantasy was that they would have pushed me too far, and I would strike out, living by my wits alone, while they stayed at home lamenting their lost son. My plan had two main problems; first, I had no idea how to live by my wits alone and second, I had no patience and wanted the weeping and wailing to start sooner. They usually hadn't noticed I was gone by the time I came to see what sorrow my absence had wrought.

One time I decided that the time for half measures was past and that I needed to do this running away thing for real. I got a blanket, a can opener, and some matches to make a fire and headed out. My dad was in the appliance business so he had a little bone yard about fifty feet from our house. My plan was this, I would go and live in the drum of an old dryer. That way I could still look into the front window of my house to observe the emotional wreckage, have a nice little bit of shelter and my own little door. The major drawback to living out your life in a dryer drum is the curve of the house and the uncomfortable little beater bars in there that are designed more for breaking up lumps of clothes as they tumble and less for sleeping comfort. As you may well know, runways cannot be choosers as the old saying almost goes.

I put my blanket in my new house and went and procured a little food from our root cellar and settled in to watch the pandemonium that would break out when they realized their favorite son whom they had mistreated was gone. I ate my food, which was a can of pineapple rings. I looked over at the front door and front window waiting for any sign of desperate searching to begin.

I waited.

I was just about to write 'patiently', but that would have been a lie. It had only been about two hours and there was no signs of sorrow. My pineapple was gone and I was bored so I decided to go and check on the amount of sadness I had already inflicted to judge if it was sufficient. I went in and my mom was reading a book and had no idea I was gone. Disheartened, I decided to call off my running away. I moved back in a and took a nap on a nice flat comfy bed.