Getting Glasses


To dorky? well maybe these bad boys will sort you out and have you looking cool in no time. Maybe.

When I was in third grade I finally filled out my nerd credentials. I got glasses. I failed one of those school nurse run eye exams and my mom took me to get glasses. We went to a place that promised my glasses would be done in about an hour so a bragged to everyone at school that I would have a new pair of glasses the next day. I went in looking at some frames that I thought would be cool, something dark with oblong lenses. My mom would hear none of it she said she thought gold rims with square lenses were the only 'sharp' looking ones. Being eight and not as wise as I am now, I went with her judgment.

It turned out they were not really going to be ready in about an hour because, as the sales guy explained to us, that was an advertising gimmick and only a few stores could deliver on that promise. The trick was to have us get the exam, pick the frames, and pay and then tell us it would be a week. Classic.

The next day I had to explain that the glasses were really special and super cool and that is why they had to be made custom and they may take more like a week to be fully ready. When my week was up we picked up my glasses and I thought I looked pretty cool and smart and my mom confirmed my thinking on that so I went back to school with a little bit of swagger. I think that is really what is wrong with nerds, we don't know what cool is and we can mistake a new pair of glasses that our moms picked out as a really happening thing. Of course, the glasses didn't make me look cooler, if anything my classmates thought I looked more like a nerd.