Stealing Canned Food for Snacks

Snack time losers.

Growing up we didn't have snacks per se. That is to say, we consumed anything snack like at such a rapid pace that there was no chance for accumulation to occur. I was shocked when I went to a snack-having house and saw cans of soda just sitting in the fridge all higeldy-pigeldy without a care in the world. The philosophy at my house was to consume as much as possible as quickly as possible to keep anyone else from getting any.

When I wanted something sweet to eat in the middle of a long day of building forts or making inventions, I would pop down to the cellar and get a canned food snack. I would open a jar of peaches, pears or apricots and eat the whole quart on a whim. If I was feeling a little more tropical, I might jump right into a can of pineapple. To really satisfy the old sweet tooth, I would drink a can of sweetened condensed milk. Drink maybe the wrong word for something of that consistency, slurped might be more appropriate.  

I even stole and ate some desserts out of army MREs that my dad had in case of an emergency. In what may come as a complete surprise, I have not maintained healthy eating habits as an adult.

This method of meeting my daily sugar intake needs had me skating on thin ice. One of the two things my mom held sacred was wasting food, the other was nap-time. If I was caught consuming food outside of the legal channels the punishment could be a rigorous yelling at and grounding.