My Parents Die, Upside-Down in a Ditch

Yep, that's them, they died that way several times a night.

I lived with the constant fear that something horrible was going to happen to anyone who was out of my sight. Once my parents got caught in a blizzard in Yellowstone Park and I was certain they were never coming home again and after that I would always imagine them in peril.When they went on trips, or out on a date, I was fine while everyone was up and playing, but when it got dark and everyone went to bed I would start to have terrible fantasies about them dead. 

When they told me what time they would be home, I would kneel backwards on the couch looking out the window at that exact time waiting for them to drive up. ​​If they were five minutes late I would imagine their car wrecked into a ditch and them bleeding to death.  Between 9:00 and 9:12 they would have died in a thousand horrible ways. The fact that they never died for real never took the edge off for me.