Mom Hits a Tow Truck


One year when we were driving back to Utah trough Denver and Vail we got caught in a horrible snow storm and there were cars off of the road all over. Even though my mom was accident prone she was driving while my dad and the rest of us slept. The visibility was very low and tow trucks were trying to pull some of the cars out of the ditches and back onto the road. My mom was driving try to be really careful when she saw a tow truck in her lane and she thought what I'll do is, I'll get closer and him swerve around the last minute, that should be the safest, and there is no way this can go wrong. That snarky bit at the end of what I claimed she thought was perhaps not in the original but who is to say? The plan didn't work out, at all. Luckily the tow truck driver was off the sholder hooking up the other car when mom hit him and pushed him off of the road. That wrecked our car so badly that we couldn't get it fixed, of course it was nighttime, on a weekend, around Christmas, in Vail which is where rich people go to get some perspective. We got towed somewhere and my grandpa who lived in Provo, 9 hours hence, drove out there to rescue us. He picked us up and drove us home and I just remember it took forever waiting, the 9 hours or whatever for him to drive out to us and then for us to drive back home it took 18 hours, if my math is right. We had already driven six or so and we were trying to sleep wherever we could in different gas stations, waiting rooms where ever we could lay our heads. I remember it being a really miserable night and I remember peeing all over the backseat of my grandpa's car. That is starting to seem to be some sort of trend, maybe like the mighty wolf I use urine to mark my territory, not physically but temporally. I think now as I write this and think about my poor parents and grandpa (PaPa), and wonder if maybe I was not the one who had the worst night after all.